Soldier Ditches Deployment by Objecting to War

soldier-shadows-570x200

Newsflash: the military is not a convenient form of welfare. If you’re going to join up you’re going to have to serve stateside, downrange or wherever Uncle Sam sends you.

This probably doesn’t come as a shock to most of you. But it sounds like it might have been to one Army Private Second Class and his family newly stationed at Fort Hood.

In one of the most baffling stories of deployment avoidance I’ve read recently, PV2 Christopher Munoz, fresh out of basic training, has filed as a “conscientious objector” and refused to deploy.

PV2 Christopher Munoz finished basic training in April, PCSed to Fort Hood and in short order learned he was soon heading to Afghanistan. From his wife, Breanna, in this story:

“After he got out of basic, once I was able to start talking to him again, he just seemed really different and had a different attitude about the army and everything versus when he went in, and, once he got here, we found out that he was going to be deployed and everything just kind of got more real, and he just felt like he couldn’t do it,” Breanna said.

The conscientious objector directive, which you can read here, is for servicemembers who, after they join up, develop some sort of “firm, fixed and sincere objection to participation of war in any form or the bearing of arms” thanks to religious training or moral or ethical beliefs. They can file as an objector to all military service and get out, or as an objector to fighting alone, and stay in the rear.

I can’t know Munozs’ motives for certain. Maybe he really did wake-up one morning during Basic Training and suddenly realize that he had real moral objections to military service.

But I find that hard to believe. I find it hard to believe that after more than 10 years of war any American who makes it into a recruiter’s office to sign on the dotted line doesn’t have some idea about what they are getting into. At the very least they must know that the Army deploys to fight wars and that, right now, that war is in Afghanistan. They must know they carry guns. They must be smarter than Goldie Hawn in Private Benjamin and know that the Army doesn’t necessarily come with a condo.

Munoz likely learned that he could become a conscientious objector through a flyer from “Our Lives Our Rights” campaign after his arrival at Fort Hood. That organization started a push in April to spread the good news of objection. From their site:

On April 1st, the Our Lives Our Rights campaign deployed veterans and active-duty soldiers to Fort Hood, TX, ahead of an impending deployment to Afghanistan with the message “You don’t have to go!”

OLOR organizers distributed thousands of leaflets on and off base, conducted high-profile visibility actions, and was covered in the local press.

As a result of this bold outreach campaign, one soldier at Fort Hood who is set to deploy to Afghanistan who was conflicted about his participation in the war saw that there was support and contacted Our Lives Our Rights.

Munoz has been provided counsel by the legal director of the Oklahoma Center for Conscience and Peace Research, an organization that last year nominated PFC Bradley Manning for the Nobel Peace Prize. Manning is accused of leaking government secrets and is on trial for aiding the enemy, among other charges.

More from Munoz’s wife (said prior to his command’s decision to keep him stateside):

“If he does end up coming home during the deployment, it kind of brings awareness to the other soldiers who don’t want to go or who also have the same war inside them to be able to come forward and actually say it, and do something about it,” Breanna said.

We haven’t heard from Munoz, likely because he is not permitted to talk about it publicly.

What really rubs me the wrong way about this whole thing is tied specifically to his wife’s statements. That “… it kind of brings awareness to the other soldiers who don’t want to go …” and “… we found out that he was going to be deployed and everything just kind of got more real, and he just felt like he couldn’t do it.”

To me that sounds like cold feet. That sounds like post-Basic training regret. That sounds like they thought the military would be an easy paycheck, a simple way to find a job, a walk in the park.

But military life isn’t those things. For the servicemember joining the military means deploying. For the spouse agreeing to the military means sacrifice.

And for the whole family military life comes down to one word: service.

How can you not know that before you sign-up?

If Munoz didn’t want to serve maybe he should not have gotten in to start with. Realizing after deployment that you morally object to war is one thing. Deciding four months out of basic training that you suddenly are against all wars is something completely different.

Amy is the editor in chief of Military.com’s spouse and family blog SpouseBuzz.com. A journalist by trade, Amy also covers spouse and family news for Military.com where she is the managing editor of spouse and family content. An Army wife and mother of two, Amy has been featured as a subject matter expert on CNN.com, NPR, Fox News, NBC, CBS, ABC and BBC as well as in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Washington Post. Follow her on twitter @amybushatz.

75 Comments on "Soldier Ditches Deployment by Objecting to War"

1. As a veteran you lost me at military service is a form of welfare. Dolt.

2. msfaithmagazine | July 15, 2013 at 8:15 am |

Seriously, I didn't realize that the Army was for Welfare is the perfect way to say it. I hate when people think that they deserve just a paycheck when joining the military. First off you took an oath, second your gonna have a chance of deploying, unlikely you won't because even cooks, support, and women deploy. What makes him so special?

My husband has done three very hard infantry tours and never backed out or denied his duty. I'm appalled isn't that cause for Dishonorable discharge?

Amy thanks for writing this because we as spouses usually don't have a say so this helps others realize it's not fair to those family that carry out their duty. PROUDLY!

3. I say let the coward out, but make him pay every penny back. All travel expense, all the medical expense while he was in boot camp, he should have to pay back any and all benefits all the way to Ft Hood. Let him out, then garnish his checks. Or better yet, send him to afganistind and have him scrub toilets for 2 years.
    I say this because there is no way this moral or religious objection miraculously just happened. It was either there before he signed up and lied there, or he is just a lying coward now. I just cannot see how this objection to war manifested itself all-of-a-sudden, and directly coincides with his shipping orders.

He is misusing the "objection to war", and this is bad for someone that would eventually really need this.

4. StarlaRose | July 15, 2013 at 11:19 am |

I'm just going to go with what my husband has said about this because I 100% agree, "He's just a stupid kid that wanted to PLAY Soldier, and doesn't have the balls the BE one."

He knew full well what the military was when he signed that dotted line. This isn't COD or Battlefield, this is real life. Men and women serve, bleed and die for our country. Everyone knows signing up that they may have a chance of deploying;yes, even deploying right after BCT/AIT. We are at war, and have been at war for quite a while. This is something that really grinds my gears just as much as the females who purposely get pregnant before deployment.

This kid also got an enlistment bonus. While it's great for those that actually DO their job, this kid is nothing more than a leech. He has wasted resources, time and a spot for someone who could have actually done the job. Making a better life for your family actually means you need to work hard, do your job, and provide. The military is not welfare, the military is not a handout, the military is not just a paycheck. This kid, and his 'wife' only saw it as that.

I hope he gets kicked out, and has to pay everything back. But I'm sure some hippie group will scoop them up and give them money they don't deserve if that happens. Leeches after all need fresh blood.

5. I think he had a rough time in basic for whatever reason and when he got home he had an equally weak support system. Had his wife supported him properly by telling him what he was doing was for his family, for his country and the right thing to do (because he signed up for it at the very least) he would have deployed and things would be different now. I am a vet, I know what he went through in basic and AIT. I can say there are certainly individuals who should not serve (I have seen my fair share), but to pull this card at this time, naw, I don't buy it. I have a feeling his wife (and possibly his extended family) have much more to do with it. I agree with him having to pay back all the monies spent on his training etc. up until now. Sounds good to me.

6. Reminds me of the scene in Apocalypse Now. The one of the kid on the Huey screaming, "I am not going" over and over again, until the Sargent puts a boot up his backside and grabs him by the collar…. Yes indeed, send this POS and make him walk point….. "Welfare System" well, kick the wife in the azz too while you are at it…

7. I'm not even sure why this is such a huge story in the media. We had one of these Conscientious Objectors in my Company in language school. It's not all that uncommon even in an all-volunteer military. It does seem a little convenient for a kid to figure out they are pacifists right out of Basic Training. But I don't know what's going on in someone else's head. Maybe war really is theoretical for some people until you're holding an M-4 and you've got a little green silhouette in your sights. The military has review boards that go through these applications very closely. They're decent at figuring out when it's real conviction and when it's just cowardice.

This kid hasn't received his enlistment bonus yet, likely, or if he has it was recent enough that it can be taken back pretty easily. He can sit around Rear D while they sort him out. I wouldn't recommend Rear D to anyone, it'll be almost punishment enough if he is just malingering. If he's not they'll get him on a flight over soon enough. But one point in his favor, at least he is staying and working through the system, rather than just going AWOL. We had several of those. Yeah, he'll leave the unit short-handed. But when isn't a unit short-handed?

8. Oh my goodness, sorry I took the time to read this article. I'm sorry but what a big baby, honestly, I mean you joined the Army, what was he expecting recess and nap time. I cannot stand when people act like this, and on top of that there's his wife condoning it. I am a military wife myself, and if you had me move away from my family and friends, get me settled somewhere, I am going to have to get a little upset that you change your mind. I'm just confused at what he thought he was getting into exactly. It doesn't matter , this guy just needs to suck it up now, do his job, and do it well and get out when his time is up. We've been at war for 12 yrs,, so if you go and sign up for the Army, what made you think you didn't have a chance of deploying. At the base were at there was a guy who had no problem with the Army or his job, and duties that came with it , and than deployment came up and he decided he couldn't go do to religion conflict. Oh the excuses. If you sign up , you sign up for the whole deal. How unfair all the other men and women have to go do their job, and yes deployment is part of the job, and others can just get out of it. I would just be embarassed to stand next to these soldiers when they came home, and call myself one of them. My husband just deployed a few months ago again, so I take this a little personally, and I am a little irritated with this man. It is my husbands 6th deployment, and it's not easy on us here at home, and on him dealing with being over there. , but it's his job, and he and I both know that. He knew exactly what he signed up for, and I have yet to see him complain, I am very proud of him. So this guy needs to do some growing up. If he wants to see hard work , real long hrs, and recurring deployments he can come join the 101st..

9. sabrinacking | July 16, 2013 at 12:10 am |

This is very unfair. But there are also a plethora of people still in the military who avoid deployments through all sorts of political maneuvers and then families like mine have to go through 5 year long combat deployments to compensate for it. Share the wealth I say.

10. Stop calling him a coward because he doesn't want to fight this BS "War on Terror". He probably wants to actually fight for his country, not fight a war that only fuels the very thing we set out to stop (terrorism).

I've wanted to join my whole life, I still want to, but I refuse to do so at the moment. When a real war breaks out and my country actually needs me, I'll be there. But this war is nothing but BS.

11. Phillip S | July 16, 2013 at 3:11 am |

Kick him out. Also make sure he can not get ANY FEDERAL AID at all for him or his family (Spouse or Kids).
    He can explain that he was a COWARD AND THAT IS WHY HE CANT GET FOOD STAMPS

It is the MILITARY YOU STUPID FOOL. THE TAG ON THE UNIFORM SAYS EITHER

ARMY, MARINE, NAVY OR AIR FORCE. IT DOES NOT SAY BOY SCOUTS.

12. I just would like to say that even in the popular entertainment the bad guys are never shown at home with their kids and families, in order to kill, one must cease to see individual human beings and instead reduce them to an abstraction.
    Media have a big influence, when you see and hear on the media all the bad and terrible things enemies do to your country, brothers etc. you get emotionally fueled with anger and excited to take action and pay back.
    but with time the anger and the excitement goes away and all its left is your conscious and your morals.
    you are blaming that man for being a good person and refusing to sin and kill.
    God said , though shall not kill, he didn't say you can kill on mondays and tuesdays and made exceptions for wars!
    Maybe when his time came his conscious couldn't accept killing another human being!
    think about that.!
    THank you.

13. Isn't this like getting a job at a brothel then deciding pre marital sex is wrong?

14. When you enlist or sign a scholarship or other contract with the army there are forms which are signded declaring that they are not concientious objectors. This soldier lied on officially signed documents. So it's time to pay the piper. There was a medical doctor MAJ that tried to pull that crap back in the Gulf War and was court martialed. She did a little time and flushed her medical license down the toliet with a federal conviction. Selfish stupid people

15. The fact that this (former) soldier choose to use conscious objector status is perfectly with in the law. I served with Honor. This man, did act on his conscious and did so in a manner consistent with the law of the land. He did not run away. He stood his ground and sucked it up, regardless of what was pressured on him & his family. He had a back-bone and did something that many do not do…he had courage in the face of adversity! Give credit where credit is due!

16. Go direct to the military jail for the rest of his time he signed up for . Or send him to Cuba no pay, basic medical,

17. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was scared the first time I went out the wire. Anyone who has faced that moment and wasn't scared and excited at the same time is a liar. It's what you do immediately after that moment that defines you. I am not sure why he thinks he is special. I have wife, 4 kids, a home, brothers, sisters and a huge extended family, in other words a lot to lose, just like every other one of my Military brothers and sisters.
    SELFESHNESS – That is the key word here. He's perfectly willing to stand here in the safety of the United States and wave "his rights" in our face, yet he's not willing to step up and defend those rights himself! He's more than happy to send his brothers and sisters in to harms way and let them do the dirty work. Shame on him and shame on the "Our Lives Our Rights" for supporting this mutineer.

18. Douglas M. Waggoner | July 16, 2013 at 12:35 pm |

Get rid of him, pronto. He is poison. Don't quibble about the particulars. Just get rid of him. He is poison.

19. airforceaggie | July 16, 2013 at 2:13 pm |

It is one thing if he was a draftee. However, as it is an all volunteer military, I just don't buy his conversion to CO status. He is just a coward trying to get out of a deployment.

20. This dude volunteered…. I have had soldier who have not wanted to go but manned up and went females at that!! Make him go and burn shit all year! I wouldn't want him next to me anyways,

21. Let me just say when my twins (my son & daughter) wanted me to sign their papers to enlist at 17 I sat down and asked them why they wanted to join the US ARMY. They said because they wanted to serve their country…ok good. The next part of our conversation is something I will never forget because it got really raw because this is what I said:

"You know that serving in the military is really tough right? Its nothing like those video games you guys play or anything like the movies you watch right? BCT is a real a reality check you go in YOU and come out a different YOU. You know you wont be the same again right? You know that you can deploy at anytime right? And where you go can be dangerous right? You also understand that you may have to KILL other people, right? You also know that you can be killed in action as well serving your country right?"

When all was said and done they looked at each other and said "Yes momma we understand…everyone has to die and if thats where it ends we're ok with that. Are you ok with that momma? We would rather die on the battle fiels than die on a corner turf fight in the neighborhood".

So yea people really know what theyre signing up for…

22. This brought up an interesting question in my mind–I had heard for "conscientious objectors" during the Vietnam War and the semi (but not really) thing of some of the times where "stop losses" were coming up in the Iraq war.

So you can be a conscientious objector but that pretty much puts you out of the military completely. I am curious about whether or not its THIS particular war. I asked my husband what he would do if he just didn't agree to a war….he said he would still go and do his duty, because you may not always agree 100% with what your commander in chief asks you to do. And I agree with that statement.

But then I was curious in this article–was this person a coward, did this solider just not get what he was signing up for, is he going back on his commitment? Probably–but made me curious if it also may have something to do with just no longer being on board with THIS war, which arguably many people might feel has run its course. I myself still feel that regardless, he needs to go….but brings up an interesting question of how our soldiers and marines may feel about this and how that may parallel the Vietnam war?

23. Really? The word candy-ass comes to mind. I grew up in a military family, almost 21 years, watched my dad board the plane for Ft. Bragg on his way to Vietnam. He had already served in Korea. I joined right after the all volunteer Army was started and served 3 years as 11B. Watched a nephew serve one tour in Iraq and a step-son two deployments in Afghanistan. You sign the dotted line you man-up and fulfill your obligation. End of story short of a signed note from God.

24. Just wandering, is this kid some gang rat that joined just to learn some street skills to be more deadly back in the hood? If so, let him break rocks into dust for the rest of his tour. If that's to harsh for our new pansy government, thin send him to the Stan and give him the crapp jobs for the next year.

25. Please leave the President "Our President" out of this. If you have a brain at all you would know that it is not the President but rather the Congress that makes war.
    Keep your distorted politics to yourself.
    As for the soldier in question, he signed up to perform a duty to his country and out of fear or some other consideration came up with a rediculous reason not to go to war. I agree that he should pay back every cent that it cost to train him for somethiong he agreed to.

26. Jakki Hall | July 16, 2013 at 7:29 pm |

I say Dishonorable discharge. I am a female Disabled Veteran who was a single parent after divorce and I went wherever my orders directed me. He probably came in hoping to be assigned to a base/unit which wouldn't deploy. Us veterans and active duty know you can be deployed as an individual or unit. I was PCS'd to Desert Storm because my General kept saying he needed me. It's evident he didn't develope honor while in basic/AIT. More evidence of the military's mistake of becoming more of a business than what it is supposed to stand for. so glad i served during earlier times. WHIMP. DISCHARGE THE COWARD.

27. This type of objector has gone back as far as we have had a military. Even before if you count the Pilgrim community protection militias. It was common in WWI and WWII. I know of draftees who chose medical service as opposed to combat arms in almost every conflict we've had. Particularly when a draft was involved. I saw it myself when I first enlisted in 75. The only hitch was you had to do it in basic and if you didn't you were pretty much stuck. My last deployment in 2009 I saw several "nobs" coming up with just about every excuse in the book not to deploy but they got away with it. Unfortunately we entice many to enlist with the promise to pay for college etc.. It is explained that a deployment will most likely happen but the system can be manipulated. As far as I'm concerned it's better to find out someone is unwilling and or unable prior to stepping outside the wire. If they object there are hundreds of support positions for them. In the civilian sector….. HooAh.

28. Tell you what, put me in a room with him for a few hours. A little wall to wall counseling is in order.

29. A Humble Spouse | July 16, 2013 at 7:55 pm |

All I have to say is this: You are being incredibly judgmental about a situation you know nothing about. I had a friend, who after a deployment came back different. He came back and said that he felt what he had seen was wrong and he filed a conscientious objector package. He had no ulterior motive. His beliefs had changed.
    I don't think we know all the information here and it is quite possible that something moved this soldier to make this decision, something real and profound to HIM. The point is, you aren't him. You don't know. You'll never know and it really isn't appropriate to call someone a coward when you don't have the facts.
    Over a decade of war has battered all of us and changed us in different ways and it's hard to see someone make a choice that seems to contradict what you hold most dear. But there are conscientious objectors who do serve in the military, and who came to that place in different ways.
    Maybe it's because I'm old and I have seen a lot of things over the years outside and inside this military bubble, but the truth is people change all the time, in unpredictable ways, governed by a variety of experiences they are having in their lives at any given moment. Most profound moments aren't public. It is possible that he is trying to game the system, but you don't know what he said in his objection package, where he has to describe his beliefs and motivators. There is a process to this, by which the military will evaluate his claim and determine this. Even if they deny his claim, he may yet serve his obligation. I have known people who have done just that.
    Unless you have walked in someone else's shoes, you really don't have the right to judge.

30. stpaulchuck | July 16, 2013 at 8:06 pm |

I think the comment about him 'playing at being a soldier' is probably the closest to the fact. It's amazing how these guys' eyes open up when they get to the rifle range and discover this stuff if for real. I also think the wife is a BIG influence here. It sounds like she got an earful from the cowardly peaceniks. This so smells like Viet Nam days.

31. Old Soldier | July 16, 2013 at 9:25 pm |

I joined the Army in 1971 and was fully aware of the fact that I might be sent to Viet Nam. If this child suddenly wants CO status, let him have it. Just make sure that he serves every day that he signed up for. If not, he should pay back every cent that he was paid. No way he didn't know of the possible deployment.

32. Earthquake | July 16, 2013 at 9:27 pm |

I think that he's an individual who used a knowledgeable tactic to get the best of both worlds…a paycheck with benefits for himself and his family, and what he thinks is a free ride in the rear for the duration of his enlistment. Back in my days ('80-'94), to declare CO meant going through a gambit of interviews (interrogations is more appropriate) starting with the Chaplain of the unit. It only escalated from there until a decision was made one way or the other. There were only 2 basic outcomes: General Discharge under Honorable conditions, or an Other Than Honorable discharge. Of course, if REAL criminal foresight could be proved, then there was a Court Martial which almost always ended in a Dishonorable Discharge. I think this person falls in the last category and should be court martialed and made to serve time.

33. court martial him put in jail throw him out he signed the blank check for one to defend the unite states

34. Flarekicker | July 16, 2013 at 11:09 pm |

What did he think he was joining, the Boy Scouts and all he'd have to do is go the summer camp and eat toasted marshmallows??? Someone has clearly neglected his history lessons because I don't remember reading anywhere that the military's main duty was to be a social club and not expect its members to stand behind the oath they took. What if General Washington's army, or the brave defenders of Bataan or Wake Island or D-Day or the Battle of the Bulge, or the Frozen Chosen or Khe Sanh had felt this way. Where would our country be now???

35. Douglas M. Waggoner | July 17, 2013 at 1:15 am |

I have no sympathy for him. He is unfit. For the good of the service, and the country, he should voluntarily leave. If not, the he should be dishonorably discharged, drummed out with full ceremony, and charges of fraud be filed against him – at the least.

36. Since the man is prohibited from saying anything it’s impossible for us to know his thoughts and motivations. I’d suggest withholding judgment until the evidence is in.

37. Leon Suchorski | July 17, 2013 at 4:52 am |

He joined up because he knew that we were pulling out of Iraq and Afghanistan, and he figured that he could sit around the barracks, because there would be no where to be sent. But it doesn't work that way, because something is always coming up, and troops are always deploying. Without the expectation of deploying, he is just on WELFARE, so to speak, because there is no reason to BE A WARRIOR. But like it usually happens in the military, something comes up and they cut him orders for a combat zone. And since this happened right after boot camp, I believe that we have a case here for fraudulent enlistment, and give him 6, 6, and Big Chicken Dinner.

38. Vietnam Vet | July 17, 2013 at 5:54 am |

PFC Bradley Manning was RIGHTFULLY nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. He should have been awarded the Medal of Honor for exposing the corruption and illegal activities going on in our military.

39. Vietnam Vet | July 17, 2013 at 5:55 am |

40. ARMYtango | July 17, 2013 at 9:31 am |

Well put!
    When I got out of Basic/AIT in 2002…I was sent to Ft. Hood also. Found out that my unit was preparing to deploy to Iraq in 3 weeks!
    I was young, and newly married…and honestly…scared. No one new what to expect as the war hadn't officially started.
    It became real at that moment as well….but when I signed up (right after 9/11), I told my wife; "This may mean I will have to go somewhere"
    When you join the miltary…no matter what branch…you WILL go somewhere…and everyone knows it.
    This guy definitely got cold feet…and so did his wife. I can't see how his beliefs changed just by going through Basic.

41. Dr. Herbert Rohmann | July 17, 2013 at 10:10 am |

Good morning — I read all the above responses. I had NO intention to write a personal response. However at this point, I feel "led" to respond.
    I volunteered for the draft when I was 18. I was trained to spend time in the Korean War but my orders were changed to serve in Germany for two years in the Army. I was prepared to fight and, God willing, lay down my life for this country. My parents came to this country from Germany in their 20's and worked hard to survive. My sister and I "caught" their strong, mature, responsible, loyal to this country, dedication, etc. At 18 I was willing to die for this country, while serving.
    As an adult I entered the field of public education. I retired early to travel internationally to serve Jesus Christ in some very dangerous 3rd world countries. Next week I'm going to one of them for my 64th time. I could be killed there, and people ask me why I put myself at risk like that. I tell them that if I'm killed, I get promoted to be with Jesus.
    What's the point? I subconsciously learned as a boy to live and die for something worthwhile. Joining the Army had the potential of death while serving my country. Now, I'm in a situation where i could die serving my Master Jesus Christ. I HAVE found my purpose for living and dying. Have you?

42. ABDELKADER HAMDAOUI | July 17, 2013 at 10:11 am |

This hypocrite is a poisonous parasite. Taxpayers should have him hung by the short and curlies.

43. I know I have been out of uniform for quite a while now so I am sure people will understand my confusion here.

When did the Army create the rank of PrivateSecond Class? I Remember, Private E1, Private E2, and then Private First Class (E3).

So did I miss something?

44. He enlisted in the volunteer Army and now he wants to be a CO? He should receive a discharge
    without honor.

45. John Warren | July 17, 2013 at 11:05 am |

Fry his arse, then make him pay back the tax payer for all the training, food, clothing, medical care and babysitting in boot camp. I can't stand people like this. Even the Lord says to fight for what is right.

46. I am a Retired US Army First Sergeant (of an AIT Company), Drill Sergeant, 4 tours in IRAQ, same story as many others. I say either put him out and make him pay back every penny. Do it quick so others don't get to see a long drawn out process in which he will get a paycheck for him and his family for a LONG time while the process moves along at a snail pace. The Army Legal system works on a 9 to 5, Monday thru Friday Pace (if you're lucky) while Soldiers Deployed (or training for that matter) get paid NO OVERTIME and work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This kid will rake in the dollars doing nothing while his Company or Battalion Deploys and puts themselves in harms way for the same money (plus a few extra bucks of pro pay). PUT HIM OUT QUICKLY!!!

47. Vietnam Veteran | July 17, 2013 at 11:58 am |

When you answer the call to serve your country, you do not pick the War or the Place. Why do you think that only 1 percent or a little less choose to serve. I agree, to kick him out and make him pay all the money back spent on his training and benefits. War and Military Service is not an X-Box Game you can just turn off when you are tire of playing soldier. This "Boy" is not fit to put on a Military Uniform.

48. Retired ANG Chief | July 17, 2013 at 12:12 pm |

Sounds like an idiot democrat chickenshirt to me.

49. When I served I went to SE Asia and Europe a few times mostly in less than a friendly environment. Yes it was hard on the family but that goes with defending our country and not what I would rather do. During Vietnam we had a lot of draftees and conscious objectors and most of them served with honor and diction. They did not want to be there either but they also went and did what was required of them. This dirt bag should be give chooses. 1. suck up and deal with what he sign up for. 2. Pay the military back everything they have invested in to him (clothes, room and board, training, pay and allowances). 3. vacation time at Leavenworth Ks as a coward.

50. Retired ANG ChiefSounds like an idiot democrat chickenshirt to me. …

Politics has nothing to do with this DUmb azz.

51. "Munoz was ordered to show-up at his unit with his gear for deployment. He came as ordered, but left his gear at home and told his command that participating conflicted with his conscience, according to this story. As a result his command reassigned him to the rear while a decision on his objector application is being made."

Not the call I would have made. His conscientious objector packet can be evaluated quite easily in Afghanistan. Jeremy Hinzman's was denied in theater. Keeping Munoz in the rear just sends the message that this is a way to get out of deployment.

52. U.S. Army MSG (RET) | July 17, 2013 at 5:48 pm |

I served 22 years in the U.S. Army. It was my decision to join and make the commitment to serve God and Country with everything that I had. When the Gulf War was getting ready to kick off I was raising my hand high asking to be sent. But there were a lot others that were saying "I joined the Army to go to school, not go to war". When I heard these folks saying this I confronted them and told them "What do you think the Army does? We don't just sit around and BS and train for the hell of it. Getting the GI Bill is a benefit to raising your hand and volentering to join the military, but you DO HAVE TO PAY FOR THAT BENIFIT by doing what the REAL reason the military exist, GO TO WAR AND PROTECT THE AMERICAN WAY OF LIFE FROM ENEMIES BOTH FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC." These words are in the oath that you take when you raise your hand and state the oath on the day that you join. If you have to go to war then that is what you have to do and when you do you have to give 110% to defeat the enemy.

MSG (RET)
    U.S. Army

53. MSG (RET) | July 17, 2013 at 5:51 pm |

For this kid to go thru Basic Training and AIT with no problems and then when he gets orders to deploy and EARN his pay and benifits to roll over and all of a sudden say that he is a CO is crazy. He thought that he could play the system and keep from getting deployed to defend American Interest anywhere in the world. It is people like that who need to be weeded out during training and if they are good at hiding it while going thru training but show thier real colors when they get to thier 1st assignement then the command should say OK no problem, you will not deploy BUT you will be COURT MARTIALED and we will make sure that you spend some quality time in Ft. Levenworth making big rocks into small rocks and get a DISHONORABLE discharge. And by the way the dishonorable discharge will follow you for the rest of your life. You will not be able to qualify for any Federal, State or local programs nor will you be able to get a job no better than flipping burgers for the rest of your life.

MSG (RET)
    U.S. Army

54. MSG (RET) | July 17, 2013 at 5:53 pm |

It is such a disgrace that we have an all voulenteer military and still have idiots like this come in, taking a position away from someone that REALLY wants it. This kid had to have lied on the contract paperwork, which by the way is a Federal Crime. If he did not want to have to go to war then why on earth did he join the military in the first place.

A lot of this can be changed if Basic Training would be like it used to be, hard on body, mind and soul. That weeded out the ones that were weak. Now a days the recruits have stress cards that they can hold up and tell the Drill Sergeant's that they are stressing out and need a break. I don't see how that would get anyone ready to do what it takes to complete a mission or do what needs to be done in a war zone.

MSG (RET)
    U.S. Army

55. Ryan, you DO NOT get to pick your wars when you join the military! When a REAL war breaks out you will join up? To do WHAT? This isn't the day when they handed you a musket and pointed you at the enemy. To be effective, a soldier needs to be trained and depending on the specialty that could take months or even longer By the time you would be of any use other than a target it would be over.
    The soldier? in question wanted all of the benefits , but NONE of the responsibilities

56. I say deploy him and place him in a noncombat duty pending his CO status. Cook, supply, transportation would meet the requirement. Just don’t issue him a gun.

57. RetiredUSAF | July 17, 2013 at 8:49 pm |

I didn't read all comments, so apologies if this has already been stated…
    One really sad thing about this situation is that this coward will more than likely not get a BCD since he is facing this mysterious change of heart. And as such he will be just as entitled to VA benefits as those brave service members who have gone into combat.
    That is just a sad commentary on how our system works.

58. Gregory Matthews | July 17, 2013 at 9:39 pm |

Conscientious objector: It was 1945 and Cpl. Desmond Doss was standing on the lawn of the White House as the President of the United Stated hung the Medal of Honor around his neck.

Doss was a conscientious objector who fought the Army, for the right to serve his country, when it attempted to discharge him. Doss won and he was not discharged.

Doss was unique in that he was a Seventh-day Adventist who believed that he could not do non-essential duty on Saturday, the day he believed to be the Sabbath.

It was on a Saturday that Doss was officially credited with saving the lives of 75 soldiers.

Doss left the Army with a 100% disability rating and dies recently.

He was only one of a number of conscientious objectors who have served their country with honor and distinction. Google his name and read about him.

59. desc10thMtn87 | July 17, 2013 at 10:19 pm |

In an all volunteer Army (Service) and especially now that we have been in Afghanistan and like wars for several decades. He should have known what was expected. Frankly what we're doing over there now (or in Iraq which is now back to being the same butthole as it was under Saddam) I would not blame anyone for not signing up. But he knew the chances were 99.9% he would be shipped of to some god forsaken sandbox. __But then at 18, if we don't trust a kid to be able to make the decision to smoke or drink, Why should we expect they are mature enough to commit to getting shot if the order is given?__ If he really has true CO feelings, train him to be a field medic. That's what was done during WWII and they were some of the bravest men on the battlefield…And no one would be calling him a coward or a wimp! It was a hell of a lot more likely for a Field medic to be KIA than the other frontline dogfaces.

60. Gregory Matthews | July 17, 2013 at 10:24 pm |

For those of you who would like to learn more about Desmond T. Doss I refer you to:

The 200 Terry Benedict film, THE CONSCIENTIOUS OBJECTOR. It is often shown on cable TV near Veterans' Day.

The 1967 & 2004 revision of the book THE UNLIKLIEST HERO, by Booton Herndon.

NOTE: There have been several other books written bout Doss.

61. Send him packing with a BCD for the Good of the Service with no benefits. Buh bye, coward.

62. I bet he was a greater soldier on xbox 360 and playstation 3 so his little brain convince him to sign up for the real deal but has reality kicks in he becomes a scared antelope that just saw a mirror reflection of a tiger.

63. If his discharge is anything but honorable or under honorable conditions, he will lose all VA benefits as a conscientious objector. That is a bar from benefits. He is a piece of trash who needs to spend a little time in Quantico.

64. twoandone | July 18, 2013 at 1:49 am |

Mr Munoz, this young man has every right to object to serving. The HERD needs to shut up and respect his personal views. I am a veteran so don't swing crap this way.

65. twoandone | July 18, 2013 at 1:55 am |

The HERD are nothing more than a weak group of people that can only survive by belonging to a group of cowards that attack without cause or thought process and they feel protected when they run in groups. The real cowards are the HERD.

66. Bob Raesemann | July 18, 2013 at 4:38 am |

This clown wasn't drafted so he knew what he was signing up for, Either ship his ass overseas or throw him out.

67. We should him the bill for Basic Training, discharge him, and let him pay back the tab at a “really good” rate…

68. He is not the first, and will not be the last. Now make him pay back every cent he or his family received and cut off all benefits.

69. Simple put,
    his motives as a conscientious objector then, filing a objector's application is a breach of contract. As a result, cut the paper chase and give him a less than honorable discharge, then, wave bye-bye. The Military must move forward with its mission(s).

70. I say dishonorable discharge, confiscate all property, titles, and certifications, revoke citizenship, and ship him, space available, to Iraqi desert.

71. Back in the 70s, when you went to the recruiting station, you listed 3 MOS positions and you listed 3 stations you'd like to go to. AT THE TIME, the recruiter would PROMISE YOU (I think it was in the contract…) that you'd, AT LEAST, get ONE OF THE SIX CHOICES you asked for. It was the combination of 1 from list A (MOSs) and/or 1 from list B (stations). I ASKED "If nothing was available from list A or B, you out of luck?" The recruiter said "Yep. Then you have to go were they need you." I still made my decision based on the recruiter's answer.
    I ended up getting an Honorable Discharge due to a bad knee (that they knew about before I took the oath…that's why it didn't became an issue later on.).
    But, I knew what the possibilities were BEFORE I SIGNED ANYTHING. I LISTENED AND PAID ATTENTION.
    So, if Mr. Chickenlittle forgot his bottle of No-Doze or Ritalin before he went to the center, tuff-titties for him. Grab a peeler and start working on those 'taters…your paperwork is moving right along…like a glacier before MMGW…

72. john salmon | July 19, 2013 at 1:38 pm |

god said you shall not murder

73. Coward. go join the navy.. haha lol just kidden.. but he is %100 a coward.. Refusing to go to war? When I learned of my spinal injury I begged and pleaded to be allowed to go down range with my unit.. feeling my duty to our country was more important than my own personal pain..

74. Rive gauche | July 30, 2013 at 6:46 pm |

The mind is capable of a lot more conscious thought than most contributors here seem capable of. No one seems able to give the man the benefit of the doubt that maybe – possibly, hypothetically – the man had an epiphany of conscience and while he wishes to not directly participate in war fighting activities seems willing to serve in a noncombatant capacity. Like chaplains, or lawyers or doctors. Or combat medics. My god what a bunch of closed minded bigots have piled on here. And they're allowed to vote…dreadful.

75. Congress should amend all laws which provide benefits to veterans (war-time annuity, etc.) to exclude from eligibility those who receive conscientious-objector status during any term of their enlistments.