A Chance to Share Your Experiences and Thoughts


Are you a military spouse who works (or wants to work) in a field that requires licensing or certification?  Have you run into obstacles due to your moves and different state requirements?  The Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Military Community and Family Policy is soliciting your thoughts on this subject.  The conversation is happening at their Facebook page, so please chime in.  The more we share, the better the chance that these issues will be addressed.  Reading other people’s response has been very interesting to me.

Please note this bit at the bottom:  “Please note, however, that because we work on state policy, we are not in a position to address individual licensing problems or questions about programs such as MyCAA, so we ask that you not discuss those items here. Thank you.”

Photo by:  Plutor

About the Author

Kate Horrell
Kate Horrell is a military financial coach, mom of four teens, and Navy spouse. She has a background in taxes and mortgage banking, and a trove of experience helping other military families with their money. Follow her on twitter @realKateHorrell.
  • Meghan Sestokas

    Thanks for posting this. As an educator, PCSing is a very frustrating experience for my career. I definitely chimed in on the discussion.

  • Megan C

    Yes, thank you for posting this! I am a social worker working towards my LCSW and this last move has been beyond frustrating. We just left Oklahoma and moved to New Jersey. I was just hired at Ft.Dix in the social services department. New Jersey is a non-reciprocal state and would not take any of my hours, even though I’m so close to being done. They want me to take a LSW exam, be a LSW for awhile, then sit for the LCSW exam before I can continue working on my hours. I wasn’t able to get a job anywhere in the state and the board was very rude. I’m asking the Oklahoma board to allow me to continue to be licensed with them, since the job is federal and do my supervision via skype. I would continue to be an Oklahoma resident. No news yet, but keeping my fingers crossed.

  • Lindsay Joiner

    I used MyCAA to go to Ashworth online college and it really helped me deal with PCSing. I don’t have to worry about transferring credits all the time. They also let me put my degree program on hold for about 6 months while I dealt with relocating.

    • Elvis

      is Ashworth a really good college? I’m thinking on enrolling but, I’m not too sure!!

  • helpme123

    are spouses able to use the gi bill?

  • helpme123

    how do spouses pay for school

  • tanya

    I know that Lakewood College is a great college and military spouses can go for free. I am studying to become s pharmacy technician but they have legal and degree programs too.

  • FedupFF

    Try being a Florida Paramedic (and reservist) with years of experience and having your also military spouse move to AZ. Got to go through all the testing and Fees all over again, in AZ. So much for military appreciation. Its all about money. Does the Human Anatomy and its treatment differ by state? This is the only reason I can figure being that I have to re-test & pay to work in a different state.